Wednesday, July 11, 2007

My Grandfather, The Physicist and Theorist

Okay, so I may be a geek (well, I am you know), but whenever I stumble across information that has anything to do with metal or die cutting, I think of my grandfather. You want to know why? Well, back in the 1940s, he basically discovered a law in physics that has to do with how metal cuts other metal, or orthogonal cutting. I look at this drawing/theory, and I think, "wow, I so did not get any of those genes" because it's totally foreign to me. My inner monologue goes something like this, "wow, I was related to him? No way!"

He also developed the model that's used in computer aided manufacturing, before computers were ever used in that capacity...and without knowing how to operate a computer himself. He's got his name displayed at the Museum of Science and Industry for that. This is a guy who loved to tinker with anything and everything. For all I know, he had EMI shielding in his garage workshop so he could do experiments. So again, I did not get those genes. I got the semi-artistic, good-with-words genes, which is okay I guess. Although, I do wish I'd inherited just a smidge of the good-with-math genes. Would have made all those high school algebra and calculus courses much better.

No comments: