Monday, November 05, 2007

Spock Rocks (No, Not Spock from Star Trek)

Every now and then, I like to do a search on myself to see what information the Internets has on me. Turns out there's a new site called Spock which allows you to search for people or information using tags, such as "green eyes" or "Hanover College" (both are tags I used to describe myself in Spock, heh). Plus, by signing up, you can have Spock send you alerts whenever anything new is posted about you on the Web. Nice feature, isn't it?

I've never really seen a search engine like Spock before, so I put in the name of one of my favorite television shows, Grey's Anatomy to see what sort of results I'd get. Would it be links to the television show itself? Or maybe it'd take me to other people's blog postings about the show? Nope. Lo and behold, I got a page full of the actresses' names and pictures, with Katherine Heigl topping the page, and Ellen Pompeo (who plays Meredith Grey) coming in third (see the screenshot I took for proof). I found that most interesting. Guess Katherine is more popular that Ellen? I'm sure she'd love to know that, given I've heard she's got just a slightly inflated ego in real life.

So, I decided to do a search on my absolute favorite television show, Heroes, to see what the results might be. Guess what Spock found? Another listing of the actors and actresses, with Masi Oka at the top of the page, and not Milo Ventimiglia much to my surprise (and dismay...since he sorta lights my TV screen on fire as Peter Petrelli every Monday night).



Given this is a site about and for people (for the most part...it is not a social networking site like Friendster or Facebook), I'd say it works pretty well since the two searches I did on television shows (not the actors or actresses mind you) resulted in people, not the shows themselves. That's pretty cool. I'll keep this site in my bookmarks for sure, because I'm sure it will come in handy on those days I want to see what the Web has on me.

No comments: