Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Crossing My Fingers

Okay, so I'm very, very sad about my friend leaving the company, and what it's going to do to my own workload. But considering I was in the same state of mind she was, I am happy for her because she will be happier with what she is choosing to do -- freelance! Actually, in her endeavor to freelance, she may have stumbled upon an opportunity that would benefit those of us who aren't exactly happy here anymore. One of the vendors she talked to about doing some proofreading or copyediting work said, "you're a project manager! You'd want more than just proofreading or copyediting." She agreed, but she pointed out that he does not hire freelance project managers. Apparently, this got his wheels spinning...

He mentioned he had been thinking of starting a satellite office...and apparently, with her interest in freelancing for him, he threw out the idea of starting one here (making no promises, of course). She had told him how bleak things were here, and as a result I'm sure he knows that she's not the only one who's unhappy. Now here's the part I love...she was thinking about me in all of this, how perhaps if this vendor had more than one project manager lined up, he could very well start an office here.

So now, she's just waiting to hear back from him. She gave her two weeks' notice yesterday, so I'm hoping she hears before then. If not, she promised to keep in touch with me about it. Because, I swear...I would leap at an opportunity like this. This guy's company is one of the best in the business, and is so busy he's turning down work from us. Best part is, he does not live or die by our company. He has other clients who love his work just as much. Thus, he's not going anywhere for a long time. If this works out...I would probably end up doing cartwheels down the hall here...that's how happy I would be. :)

No comments: