Thursday, September 14, 2006

Maybe I'm Amazed

Then again, maybe I'm not. Actually, this is something that doesn't entertain me. This is something that pisses me off, and it's the department I work for in my company -- not my company mind you, but my department. About 1 1/2 years ago, I left because I got fed up with my company, and I went to another job...which did not go well at all. It was like jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Anyway, about a year later, and 6 months of being unemployed, I had the chance to come back to my old company in the same job I had. They were desperate for someone with experience, and I was desperate for work. I knew that what I'd be going back to was probably worse than the situation I left, and I could deal with that and have been...so far.

What I can't deal with is what has happened since I've come back. First, someone left the department for a job in another one. When we asked about a replacement, we were told he wouldn't be replaced due to some clerical error made on an org chart, used for budgeting purposes. Fine, we'd cope and deal, just as we always have.

Then I was offered the opportunity to take on a new job, which would have been a promotion. But I was denied that chance by HR, as I had just come back...my previous years here did not count. So, someone else in my department took the job, which left another hole in the department. Would she be replaced? Yes! The search was on...the key word being, "was." We found out today that they won't be replacing her until after the first of the year. Huh? Excuse me? Apparently there's something about not hiring someone unless it's a revenue-generating job. Last time I looked, my job is integral to revenue being generated. I manage the process for producing the product that generates revenue, for crying out loud! There's also the fact that there seemed to be no interest, not even from the outside world, for this job. Not good.

And now, one of the other people in my department is leaving to freelance for our vendors. This has not been announced yet, but it's going to happen. That will leave 4 people to do the job of what had been a department of 7 people. And given my manager couldn't find anyone she liked for the last job that opened up, I doubt she'll be able to find two...and even if she did, she probably wouldn't be able to fill one of them because no one in their right mind wants this job (yes, I am crazy, I think).

I'm already at my wit's end, and I'm probably going to get at least one of the big titles she'll leave behind...which actually used to be mine. Funny how things go full-circle sometimes. The only bright side to this is, I'll probably be promoted to fill her role as a senior member of the department. It'll mean a pay raise...not a huge one, but a raise nonetheless. Perhaps that will be something to keep me sane? We'll see.

Tags: ,

No comments: