Thursday, September 14, 2006

I Hate Political Ads

I know hate is a strong word, but I really do hate political ads. We are bombarded with them from now until Nov. 7. You can't get away from them, unless you have Tivo, which I do (hooray for me!). I live in Ohio, and I don't think I have to tell anyone how bitter the fight between Mike Dewine (Republican) and Sherrod Brown (Democrat) is for the Senate seat. For the first time in a long time, we might actually have a Democrat in the Senate. That would be sweet, from my point of view.

And then there's the governor's race between Ken Blackwell (Republican), who I would never vote for in a million years, and Ted Strickland (Democrat). Right now, it looks like Strickland might win (hooray again!). But with the mud slinging that's going on, who knows?

All I know is that my Tivo remote might get worn out from fast forwarding through as many political ads as I can, and not just the ones attacking the candidates I favor. There's only so much negative ad campaigning I can take, and this year is going to be one of the worst in recent history, according to many commentators. It's going to be a long 8 weeks, I think. Heaven help us all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, they do suck. As a representative of economist Bill Peirce's independent campaign for Governor, we do not engage in this petty behavior in our advertising, which is pretty much why the media doesn't give us the time of day.

Still, wouldn't you rather vote for a statesmen instead of another bureaucrat?