Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Christmas Came Early for Democrats Today!

Where oh where do I begin? First, we win the House by a huge margin. To use Bush's own words, the GOP got "thumped." Yes, yes they did. And now, Rumsfeld is resigning, and the Democratic Senate candidates in the two last states (VA and MT) to be counted are totally ahead. There could be recounts, and there probably will be in Virginia, but still. It was all I could do today not to go around my neighborhood and rip up the signs for Dewine and Blackwell, the GOP candidates for Senate and Governor, respectively. I am full of glee, I tell you. This is what it must have been like back in 2004 when Bush won. It's a nice feeling.

Now, I just hope that the Dems don't screw up. I mean, they are still politicians. And, Bush does have veto power, which I am sure he will use to its fullest extent. That, or he'll just keep using those sneaky signining statements he's used over 750 times since being in office. What I really want to see happen is impeachment proceedings started, because if we can't impeach a president for invading another country under false pretenses, and then consequently stomping all over the Constitution in the name of "executive power," then Congress and the American people should be ashamed of themselves. We can impeach Clinton for lying under oath about getting "serviced" by an intern, but we can't impeach Bush for what he's done to this country and, in turn, this planet???

Yes, I understand that there are other things at stake, like getting out of Iraq...in a strategic manner, not all at once (not even I think we should unilaterally withdraw). And there's also health care (stem cell research anyone?), prescription drugs/Medicare, investigating the secret CIA prisons (and therefore the writ of habeas corpus being taken away), illegal wiretapping...the list goes on and on.

But really, the man needs to at least be threatened with impeachment for what he and his administration have done. Anything less will be insulting to those who died over in Iraq and Afghanistan, and more importantly, the citizens of the United States who have watched their civil rights erode, all in the name of fear. The time for rule by fear is over. It's time to take this country back and show people what we are capable of. I just hope that this new Congress can do it.

1 comment:

Jay said...

I doubt that Congress will even begin looking at impeachment unless we demand it of them.