Monday, November 06, 2006

It's ThanksChristmas Time!

Am I a Scrooge, or perhaps the Grinch because I think it is way too early to be putting up Christmas decorations??? I mean, come on people! I saw them up before Halloween around where I live. Granted, it was only one or two houses...but still, that's one or two houses too many in my humble opinion. Is it the retailers who put the stuff out there for people to buy starting in September that cause this? While they are somewhat at fault, I'm afraid it just shows how impatient we are as a country about everything.

We just can't wait for it to be Christmas, so why not have it now? What happened to waiting until after Thanksgiving? I honestly have no idea. And like I said, maybe I am becoming the Grinch when it comes to this. But I don't think so. I love Christmas, I really do. And I go all out for it when the time is right. I used to think it was waiting until December, but I've given in to the folks who want it to be right after Thanksgiving.

Of course, you're talking to someone who grew up as a preacher's kid in the Episcopal church, where we had an Advent tree because it solved the problem of small kids wanting decorations, and a father who insisted that we not put up a Christmas tree until it was practically Christmas Eve.

But, we were some of the few (and still are) who leave things up until January 6th, when Christmas officially ends. Ever heard of the 12 days of Christmas? Yes, they come after Christmas, not before. Not many people seem to remember that fact, or care. Actually, I don't...but I have fun pointing it out to people who throw out their trees on December 26th. I have this vague notion that if people knew or cared about that, then maybe they might wait to deck their halls. Christmas only comes once a year, and we should give it the honor and dignity it deserves by not stretching it out over, well, 3 months. But, that's just my humble opinion, mind you.

No comments: