Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Yes, I'm Actually Going to Cook for Thanksgiving

Whenever someone asks me if I like to cook, I give them a look that basically says, "hell, no!" But actually, I go through phases where I do enjoy cooking, usually around Thanksgiving and Christmas. Last year, we had Thanksgiving at my boyfriend's place with his family and mine. I cooked everything but the turkey, stuffing, and my dad's "famous" sweet potato pie (my dad's an excellent cook, in case you were wondering). It was actually fun!

This year, though, I will be going to my dad's condo place to break bread with another family...but I've been asked to bring a pumpkin pie and the fresh cranberry & orange relish we all enjoy so much. I made the pie last year, and it turned out quite well...so I was flattered when my gourmet chef of a father asked me to make the pie again. It is his recipe, but still...when someone who's been cooking for almost 25 years and is really, really good at it, I can't help but be flattered.

Anyway, I thought I'd share the recipes I'd be making this year, in case anyone's actually reading this blog. :)

Pumpkin Pie

Ingredients
3 jumbo eggs
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
15 oz canned pumpkin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground mace
1/4 cup (cheap) bourbon
2/3 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 prepared pie shells

Directions
1. Combine everything but the pie shell dough in your food processor or standing mixer. Whir it until well-combined.
2. Line a 10-inch pie plate with a pie shell. Cut about an inch circle from the second shell and crimp it onto the first to make a nice edging.
3. Pour the batter into the shell.
4. Bake it in a preheated 350 degree oven for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Cranberry and Orange Relish

Ingredients
1 lb. fresh cranberries
1 juice orange (Valencia or Navel)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 inch round of ginger

Directions
1. Rinse and pick over cranberries.
2. Cut up the orange into chunks.
3. Put everything in your food processor and whir until smooth.
4. Turn into glass or other nonreactive lidded container and refrigerate for several hours before serving.


No comments: