Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Something I'd Rather Not Talk About...But Here Goes

Okay, so...a few months ago, I was getting UTIs so often, I had to go visit a urologist to see what the problem was, because there was no real reason behind me getting them. I was convinced that this was the start of something that would eventually lead to having to wear tranquility diapers (that's for incontinence, just in case you were wondering). Having a lot of UTIs can lead to that because the walls of your urethra and bladder can get scarred and not function as well. Luckily, my bout with UTIs seems to be over, for now.

My CT scan showed nothing that would cause me to have recurrent UTIs, like scar tissue or blockage...but it did find two kidney stones...very, very small kidney stones. Guess it's hereditary after all, because women don't really get them, but my brother, father, and uncles on both sides of my family have had them. My brother's had the most by far, having had three lithotripsies (or more, I can't remember now). That's where they blast apart the stone with ultrasound, and you get to pass the stone as sand...pleasant, huh? I hope I pass these stones without incident (my brother has before, apparently). But knowing me and my family's medical problems, I'll have to pass them painfully or go through the ultrasound process. Ugh.

No comments: