Thursday, March 22, 2007

My New Diet Trick

Okay, so I heard about this cognitive therapy approach to weight loss...basically think thin to be thin. Of course, it's not that easy. There is some actual work involved. But the one thing I took away from what I read was to come up with the real reasons why you want to lose weight, and ask yourself a question using whichever reason is more important to you at the time.

In my case, I ask myself, "Would I rather eat this now, or be a size 8 again?" Basically, what would make me happier in the long run? I don't know why or how, but it seems to be working. Maybe it's because I'm looking at a larger picture of things, because I tend to tell myself, "oh, this piece of chocolate today won't hurt me." But then I eat 5 or 6 of them, many days in a row, and that can hurt my goal. I'm thinking with time, I won't need to try another diet trial.

My next step is to do the same thing with exercise, ask myself, "would I rather watch this show/play on the PC, or would I rather be a size 8 again?" Taking small steps, and doing things in stages is much easier, at least in my experience.

No comments: