Thursday, March 29, 2007

Sleep Through the Night? Not Me, I'm Afraid

On Tuesday, I went to see my neurologist for my annual visit, which is basically to make sure my RLS medications are still working and not having any adverse side effects. One of the ones I take for the REM Behavior Disorder (goes along with RLS in some cases) is known to be linked to prescription drug addiction problems. It's such a powerful "benzo" that you can't get a 12 month prescription for it, which is annoying for me as I only take a small dose every night to keep me from leaping out of bed while having odd hallucinations (my brain apparently doesn't shut down my motor functions in REM sleep, like most people). Clonazepam is unfortunately the only drug that's prescribed for the problem. And I hate it, actually...makes me so sluggish in the mornings. Melatonin also works, but it does the same thing to me...only worse, since I apparently make enough of it and don't need a supplement for it. Guess that'll be one thing I look forward to about getting older is being able to take melatonin for this, and get myself off of the clonazepam.

No comments: