Thursday, October 12, 2006

The Blame Game and North Korea

Yesterday morning as I was watching the Today Show, getting ready to go to work, I watched Senator John McCain officially go over to the Dark Side. It was really all I could do not to jump through the TV set and slap him upside the head. I mean, here we are presented with the ginormous problem of North Korea detonating a nuclear bomb underground, and this man has the gaul to blame the Clinton administration for the "failed" North Korea diplomacy? While I'm sure that there is at least some blame to be laid on the Clinton administration, there's enough of it to go around for both the past administration and this current one.

And really, the problem isn't who to blame. It's the fact that, oh, I don't know...North Korea has the capability to produce a nuclear bomb, and that they are threatening to use force! What?!? How did it get to this? Oh yeah, we never really paid much attention until now. So maybe, we should be pointing fingers, because perhaps if we hadn't marched into Iraq thinking we'd be greeted with flowers 4 years ago, we might have paid more attention to this. Then again, we probably wouldn't have paid any attention to them, simply because they're not sitting on an oil reserve we want so desperately to control.

For us to refuse negotiations is simply outrageous. China and Japan do have more at stake, but so do we if they ever develop that missile that could reach the western shores of the United States. But wait, it's like all potential problems with this government. We don't really worry about them until it's too late (Katrina, 9/11 - and yes, I do blame this administration for basically letting it happen). What will it take, a nuclear missile headed in our direction for anyone to do anything? I certainly hope not, because nuclear armageddon is not something anyone should ever have to face, not even the worst of the human race.

Okay, so maybe I'm being melodramatic. I can't help it. I feel like the world is falling apart, and my own little world is starting to crumble as well. My job is getting worse everyday, my relationship is for all intents and purposes over, my grandfather passed away not too long ago, and winter (my most dreaded season) is on its way. Granted, my house hasn't burned down (my cousin's wife's brother's house did...total loss), so maybe I should just keep that thought in my mind when it feels like nothing's going right. Something else could go wrong, but I certainly hope not.

No comments: