Monday, October 16, 2006

Finances, Budgets, and Debt, Oh My!

This is yet another post that doesn't exactly entertain me, but it is weighing heavily on my mind...and that is the sad state of my finances! I can't seem to get my head above water. It's really depressing, and no matter what I do, I can't seem to get ahead.

So, I've gone back to doing freelance writing, mainly in the form of keyword articles and article rewrites, as they really don't require too much thought. However, I'd rather do this than what I've done before, and that's doing Tarot readings online (shhhhh!). I also have the option of proofing URLs for $15 per hour, which is really good and easy work...yet I can only look at URLs for so long before they all start to look the same! I hope between the proofreading and keyword article writing, that I can pull down an extra $500 per month. That would help dig me out of the hole that I'm currently in.

In the meantime, I have cut down on my spending, but unless I cut out my cable (which is basic, by the way), there really isn't anywhere else I can limit my spending. My commute is 60 miles round trip each day, and luckily I have an okay car for gas mileage (not stellar, though). I only have a cell phone, no land line. My utility costs are not exorbitant. And I've gone from getting my hair cut every month to every other month (have to get the color done every month, though...I have stubborn gray that store-bought stuff just doesn't cover). I'm about ready to switch from cable Internet to DSL through AT&T Yahoo, as it would definitely be cheaper...but only for a year! Guess I could eat out not as much...but I only go maybe once or twice a week out to lunch, and less than that for dinner.

The big problem is that I really can't afford where I live. I should live some place that's about $100 cheaper per month. Unfortunately, I can't do anything about that until my lease is up in February. Or, I can hope and pray that Lachina hires me and pays me a living salary for the type of work I do, not the bare minimum like my current company does. Because I don't want to have to "moonlight" any longer than I have to. It drains my energy, to be honest...and I don't have much to begin with!

Oh, and I have signed up with MyEnvelopes.com...again...to see if that will help me get my finances under control. My problem is that I have ADD when it comes to this...or more likely, severe procrastination when it comes to financial planning, budgets, and spending plans. Not sure how to overcome it either, as I have tried and tried to keep a system going, only to let it go after a month or two. I know, I know...it's all in my head. But I've even hired a financial "coach" and he wasn't able to help me with this. GAH!

In any case...I just wish that a big pile of money would fall in my lap, heh. That would solve all of my problems, right? No, but it still would be nice...

No comments: