Friday, December 01, 2006

Dreaming of Summer

So I'm sitting here at work looking out my window, watching the wind blow, hoping that a) the building doesn't fall down around us and b) the light poles that are shaking violently in the parking lot don't fall on people's cars. It's December 1st, and apparently winter wants us to know it's finally here (it's been in the 60s for the past two weeks!). It's sooooo windy, it's kind of scary. I could barely open my car door this morning, and just walking into the office was a chore. Temps are dropping like a rock too. So now that winter is definitely here, I can help but daydream of being on a beach in the Outer Banks NC, in the summer of course.

The beach is a place that I dream about a lot, and I have this need to go there frequently. It calms me, centers me. I feel at peace when I'm near the ocean (I'm sure the warmth of the sun helps with that too). But I feel like the beach is a part of who I am. I have fond memories of spending a month of every summer at my grandparent's beach house in northern Florida. It was a sequestered, sparsely populated beach then. Now it's full of condos. So, I'm thinking of trying the Outer Banks this year to see if there are any beaches like the one from my childhood. After the year I've had, I'll need a beach vacation to recharge my soul, I think.

No comments: