Thursday, December 28, 2006

Touchdown Jesus

In my trips back and forth to Cincinnati, I get to witness what is possibly the most astounding thing on the road today, a larger than life Jesus statue. I can tell you from experience, pictures do not do it justice. Some people call it "Touchdown Jesus" or "Drowning Jesus" (my personal favorite, since he supposedly walked on water. I've also heard the name "Buttercream Jesus" as he does look like he's made out of tasty frosting. But, alas...we are supposed to take this seriously. Seriously? I just can't, especially when not too far down from it is a Hustler store with a giant road sign. Heh.

Anyway, if you haven't seen it...and you're driving down I-75 sometime, you can't miss it. Don't let it scare you, either. One time, it did...the first time I drove up I-75 after it had been completed, actually. Really, it's a monstrosity. And I'm not sure Jesus would appreciate being depicted as drowning, with a cross as his life preserver. Then again, maybe not? I mean, Jesus was a pretty cool guy, from what I understand. Maybe he'd get a good laugh out of it, just like a lot of us down here in Cincinnati/Dayton do.

No comments: