Friday, December 15, 2006

I Got the Blues - The Winter Blues, To Be Exact

When I was in college, lo these many years ago, I first learned about SAD, or Seasonal Affective Disorder. You might know it as the "winter blues" too. I was so intrigued by it, I actually wrote a paper on SAD. Yes, indeed, I did have SAD. To this day, I am convinced I still suffer from this disorder...maybe not as bad as a lot of people, but I definitely feel more sluggish and moody when the days start to get shorter.

Sometimes my winter depression gets so bad, I want to just hibernate like the bears do, and wake up when it gets warmer and there's more sunlight. Because, you see, I live where winters are very gray. We don't get a lot of snow, but we sure have a lot of cloudy days. Combined with shorter days, it's sometimes all I can do to get out of bed. Just about the only thing I like about December (besides Christmas, of course) is that after the 21st, the days start to get a little longer each day. Yay!

Why do some folks like me get depressed as the days get shorter? It's because there is less sunlight in the day. And when there is less sunlight, we make less serotonin. When we don't make as much serotonin, we start to feel sluggish, sad, depressed, etc. Some people, like me, are just more predisposed to the effects of a lack of serotonin during this time of year. That is why researchers developed broad spectrum, intense lights, otherwise known as SAD Lights that people can sit in front of to help with their symptoms.

Now, I don't have one of these. But don't think for a second that I haven't thought about buying some SAD Lights to help treat my winter depression. I'd much rather use something like SAD Lights than anti-depressants. When my mother died on Thanksgiving 3 years ago, I did need the help of an anti-depressant, because I knew the grief combined with my Seasonal Affective Disorder might land me in a clinical state of depression, unable to do anything. But for my winter depression, I really don't need an anti-depressant. That's why I'm seriously considering purchasing one this year. Maybe I'll make it my birthday present to myself!

No comments: