Monday, December 18, 2006

No Vacation for Me Next Week

Well, looks like I can't take off the only three days next week my office is open. Why? Because I have a book that's going to the printer, and I don't have all of my page proofs back yet. That, and it's being done in India...so the time difference basically adds on a day to whatever I can get done. It really sucks, and I'm mad that I can't take the time off. Normally, I'd just ask someone to cover for me, but there's no one who can because we're so short-staffed and all working at maximum capacity. Last thing I want to do is send someone over the edge with this one project. And that's what it would do, because it is a complete mess. It's one of those low priority titles that no one (including me) really paid enough attention to, and now I'm having to go over it with a fine-toothed comb. Even then, I am scared to see what sort of errors it will have when it gets printed. *sigh*

The one bright light in this is...I think I'll be able to work from home those days. No one's in the office anyway, and this title is 100% "electronic" meaning I can review PDFs and post corrections to FTP sites. And that's really the only work I plan on doing, nothing else...I mean, seriously. Not being able to take off because there's no backup in my department sucks. And I know I'm not the only one who's foregoing vacation next week because we are ALL in the same boat. I wish our department would see this and do something about it, like, hire some more people!

No comments: