Thursday, January 11, 2007

Bush to Send More Troops

*sigh* I swear, I do more of that these days than anything else, other than rolling my eyes. While I am not surprised Bush wants to send in more troops, I am highly disappointed. Even moreso, I am dismayed that he is putting another 21,000 Americans in harm's way. Didn't we "surge" the troops last year? Did that work? Uh, no, because this is clearly not an issue that can be solved by military might alone. It will take a combination of political savvy and training of Iraqi troops -- at least those troops that stay. While I believe we should stay to clean up the mess we made, we shouldn't be occupying Iraq indefinitely. Bring as many troops home as we can so that the Iraqis can either fix this themselves...or dissolve completely into chaos. It's up to the strength of the government, which I don't hold much faith in. It is truly, truly a no-win situation for anyone, thanks to Bush's biggest blunder of all history.

It's enough to make me wonder how different the world might be if Gore had been elected president back in 2000 (which he was, really). Would it be better? I have to believe so. Would it be safer? Maybe yes, maybe no, but again...I have to believe that it would be after seeing An Inconvenient Truth the other night. But, the reality of the situation is that the world is an incredibly unstable place, thanks to Bush and Co. We are not safer from terrorism with our troops overseas. Fighting terrorism with conventional military is like fighting a virus with an antibiotic. It doesn't work! It might make us feel better for a little while, but in the end, it only ends up making things weaker in case we are attacked in a different manner. And, we will be. That's what scares me the most, I think, that we are so unprepared for any sort of widespread disaster, manmade or natural. Let's bring the troops home and spend the billions of dollars on THIS country, not other countries. Make this country safe from the inside, Bush. Will you do that? Nope, I don't think so. *sigh*

No comments: