Thursday, January 11, 2007

Great! Just Fabulous. More Medical Bad News for Me.

Last week I found out that the Mirapex I take for my RLS might cause problems with heart valves. Now, it's not as bad as some of the other Parkinson's medications that are out there (mainly ones derived from ergot), but still. This is all I need. Not that I have heart valve issues, mind you. But now I have to go be checked for them. Yet something else I have to spend my money on, in addition to my annual tests I have to get done.

So, I'm left to wonder what I might take if they yank the only thing that lets me sleep off the market? I might see if my doctor would prescribe generic Ultram, as I hear it does help with sleep. It wouldn't be the same thing as Mirapex, which actually controls the symptoms. But, it'd be something besides the other medication I take, Klonopin, to control my REM Behavior Disorder (associated with RLS).

I really, really dislike even having to take these medications, but I truly have no alternative. I've tried melatonin for the REMBD, as I read it does control it, but I'm too young for it apparently. Taking even a small amount of it makes me feel like a total zombie the next day. I hope that as I get older, I'll be able to take melatonin because it works wonders as far as my REMBD goes. And maybe someday, there will be a treatment for RLS that doesn't involve Parkinson's medications. One can only hope, right?

No comments: