Monday, January 22, 2007

SecondLife Baffles Me

Yes, I have recently joined the ranks of SecondLife.com. What is this exactly? Actually, I'm still not sure. I do know that it's a virtual realm where you can make your own identity, a "second life" so to speak. You can get a job, have a social life...all in virtual reality. Some people make a living off of it in their real life, mainly techies, I think. It has its own currency ($300 Lindens = $1 US). There are stores where you can buy clothes, hair, gestures and poses. And you can go out for a night on the town. There are so many clubs, it's astounding.

Right now, I'm just trying to figure out how to make money by "camping" out at different locations, until I feel comfortable enough to get a "job" from someone. So for now, I'm trying out different looks (mainly an image of myself in how I'd love to look in real life!) and venturing into different locations to see who I can meet, and where I can camp without getting kicked off for being idle. What I find at these locations can range from normal, everyday life (stores, restaurants, beaches, etc.) to places that I've only heard about in real life, never seen. For instance...I ended up in a place that is topless, and it didn't say so in the initial description. Seems I'm still timid in the virtual world, as I got out of there as quickly as I could! I figure if I want to be taken seriously in SL, then going to topless places or getting a job as a pole dancer is not in my best interest. I won't even go into some of the other stuff that seems to be popular in SL. Let's just say, I think people live repressed lives, and they use SL as an outlet to release some of those, um, tensions.

Anyway, it's intriguing, and I will probably keep at it until I get bored with it. But I doubt I will be able to get bored quickly. There's just too much to explore.

No comments: