Monday, January 01, 2007

A Southern New Year Tradition

Ah, today's the day I go to my dad's to eat ham, hoppin' john (black-eyed peas and rice), and some sort of green veggie (supposed to be collard greens...but no one likes them, so we eat spinach). This meal is supposed to provide love, luck, and money in the new year. Now, I've experienced love and money...and maybe a little luck. But never all three in the same year. After the past three years, which have been challenging to say the least, I'm hoping that this year will be the jackpot year when I get all three...as the money has come from some deaths in the family, so that doesn't really count.

Anyway, I do love this tradition...even if it doesn't do what it's supposed to. The food is great, and so is the company. Here's to a new year! May we all have a better year than the last...

No comments: